Changing Cycles

I'm not a very huge fan of change. I kinda like routine. Change, let's just put it mildly, disorients me. And that's why I'm writing again. Writing stabilizes, if not distracts me.

Summer is over in this part of the world, while in others, it is just beginning. Which means while other moms are bracing themselves for the onslaught of non-stop summer activities that can only happen when kids are home on vacation, I'm psyching myself for a quiet home during the early part of the day once the kids go back to school. Oh don't get me wrong. I'd been looking forward to this after eight straight weeks of being with my children--and I only have two! See, in a really odd way, this summer was such a busy period -- starting with Holy Week. Then Easter. Then Earth Day. Then Family Reunions. Then Labor Day. Then Mother's Day. Then Elections. Then A Wedding. Then Mom's Birthday -- packed with short trips and adventures in between! Whew!

But now that June is here, I can't help but be wistful about what we did this summer and how that's about to end in a couple of weeks. I think the children are feeling the same way. Riding in the car awhile back, my daughter kept hugging and snuggling up to me. As if that was not enough, she intertwined her fingers onto mine, the kind where your hands lock and it's a bit hard to let go. My son has been clinging more often too. And to tell you the truth, so have I. Well, what's a mother to do?

Re-establish routines, that's what. This week, we started walking around the village in the morning, ending at the playground for their treat. The swing helps my daughter look forward to the one at school while my son is reminded of how Coach taught them to jog, not run. We've unplugged the TV and packed away the DVD's, and have been reading new books with old favorites more often, and not just before bedtime. I'm surprised at the fact that the kids have not complained, and seem to genuinely enjoy our read-aloud sessions once again. We've also cut back on adventures, except for paying bills, going to the doctor, doing the groceries and picking up daddy from work. We're really winding down into our more structured, uneventful, daily routine. I like it that way. And so do they.

Today, the rain poured practically all day signaling the start of the rainy season. We were undaunted. Daughter kept doing her penmanship book, practicing for second grade. Son was busy looking at his sister's hand-me-down books. And I, got out my own notebook and started typing away...

Comments

Popular Posts